Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Coraline

So, I am going to just post about the entire Coraline book. I will start off by saying I didn't hate the book but at the same time it wasn't my favorite. As we all know the story is about a young girl who, through a door in her house, travels to an alternate world where her "other" family and surroundings exist. The only thing from the real world that is the same is the black cat. My favorite part of the story is the curosity and strength of such a young girl. When her and the cat are trying to get back to the real world she is the one reassuring and comforting the cat...."You'll be fine," said Coraline, "Everything's going to fine. I'll take you home." (pg. 125) Even though she is very scared and not really sure if everything will be fine she is saying those words to protect the cat. I am not really a fan of fantasy novels, in the beginning I wondered if it would all just end up being a dream. I love how the author made Coraline such a unique character, she is so smart. I thought it was funny how at the end of the book Coraline creates such a great idea as to get the hand of the other mother to fall down the well. I would say it took me far to long as an adult to relize that was her plan...haha. I can honestly say I would not have thought of that. So overall this was a very unique book, the details of such things asthe rock with the hole that protected her and the rat circus are great. Overall how did you guys feel about the book? What were your favorite parts?

2 comments:

Erin Haley said...

I agree with you, Nicole-this was not my favorite book, either. I think that when she is telling the cat that everything will be okay she is also telling herself. If you have someone with you that you have to protect it can take some of the fear away from you so that you can focus on the person (or animal) you are supposed to be protecting. I wonder where the author got the inspiration for this book. It is so bizarre. I do like that it shows a strong, intelligent female protagonist, though. Always like to see that.

Emily Braaten said...

I have to disagree with my blogmates. I found that Coraline one of the most interesting books we've read so far. I really enjoyed it because it was just so creepy. Some parts really scared me.

When Coraline first sees her "other mother" she's described, "Only her skin was white as paper. Only she was taller and thinner. Only her fingers were too long, and they never stopped moving, and her dark red fingernails were curved and sharp. 'Coraline?' the woman said. 'Is that you?' And then she turned around. Her eyes were big black buttons" (pg 33).

I had to read the part about the button-eyes about three or four times until I actually believed that this creepy character really had buttons for eyes. What most intrigued me was Coraline's bravery. She's hardly even scared in the beginning, she just feels uncomfortable and realizes she needs to go home to her real parents.

Coraline doesn't even really begin to worry about the safety of herself and her family until she wakes up alone in the middle of the night and realizes that they are really gone. The story she tells the cat about her dad saving her from the wasps was really touching. It demonstrated to the readers that they really are a family that loves and cares for one another, while before that the family just seemed to coexist together and not really pay much attention to one another.

The story gets even more scary, with a herd of hungry rats, a creepy circus-show, ghosts in the closet, and her "other father" trying to attack her in the basement, yet Coraline remains rather calm and focused. She is incredibly clever, strong and brave. She didn't give up until her family was completely safe and free from the other mother.