Saturday, March 10, 2007

Skellig; first half

There was a lot of things that I really enjoyed about this book, but one of the most intriguing was the theory of wings. Michael's mom says to him on pages 38-39, that, "They say that shoulder blades are where your wings were, when you were an angel They say they're where your wings will grow again one day." I had never heard this before and I don't know if it is something the author created or an actual saying, but I thought it was such a beautiful idea about wings and angels. And Mina comments on it, too. On page 52 she says to Michael, "It's a proven fact, common knowledge. They're where your wings were and where they'll grow again." What a great philosophy.
There were other things that touched on that kind of sweetness throughout the book. Michael checked on his baby sister frequently, feeling her warmth and her heart.
In another vein, on page 49, Mina says, "My mother educates me. We believe that schools inhibit the natural curiosity, creativity, and intelligence of children. The mind neds to be opened out into the world, not shuttered down inside a gloomy classroom." I think that this relates to what Zipes' says about the socialization of children through books. Mina's education is expanded beyond books, and what other people think is important to learn. I'd like to hear what you all think of this book.

2 comments:

Nicole Meamber said...

I have really enjoyed the first half of "Skellig" also. I think it is a very sweet tale about love and exploration. I agree with you about the shoulder blade saying, I think I might have heard this before somewhere....it is so beautiful.
Thus far I find the love Michael has for the baby to be so wonderful. On page 5, in the opening of the book Michael calls his sister "a stupid baby." As the book continues on though you see through his nightly visits to check on her and how he "shudders" when she has to return to the hospital that he wants nothing more than for her to be well.
It is interesting how you bring up Zipes, I think you might have a point when it comes to the socialization of children through books. I think that school is very important, it helps in developing social skills and learning things your parents may not know. I guess it just seems to me that a child can have the best of both worlds in this situation, school and the culture and experinces your parents have to offer.
Overall I think this is a great book so far, I love how the children want to help so desperatley. It is great to see their compassion and kindness for all creatures.

Emily Braaten said...

I, too, have loved "Skellig," so much that I accidentally read the whole thing already. The theme of shoulder blades/wings and birds/owls is apparent through the entire book. Other themes through the book are imagination/dreams and love, though they are less apparent and aren't really exposed until the end of the story. When Michael discovers Skellig in the beginning he hardly believes his eyes, and doesn't tell anyone, afraid that he just imagined it. But when he shows the very imaginative Mina, she sees him too. In chapter 22 when the kids (I found it very interesting that their ages are never described) meet at dawn to move Skellig, its first transitioned from Michael's dreams to this conversation, "But you're awake now?" she said.
"Yes."
"We're not dreaming this?"
"We're not dreaming it."
"We're not dreaming this together?"
"Even if we were we wouldn't know." Later in the story, Michael's dad realizes he is missing in the middle of the night, so Mina and Michael claim that he was sleepwalking. I feel that Almond is leaving it up to the reader to decide if Skellig really exists, or if it is all an adventure Michael has made up in his mind to help deal with the pain and stress of the situation with his failing baby sister.
As Nicole said, its interesting how in the beginning Michael seems to regard the baby as just a little, sick, stupid, thing. The stress makes him sad and distant. But as he becomes more involved with Skellig, his perception and feelings seem to change. He wants nothing more than for the baby to be ok. His desire to help Skellig coincide with his "prayers" and wishes for his sister to get better. At the end of the story, you see more obviously how both Skellig and the baby are related, but I don't want to ruin anything!